Cupping Therapy induces negative pressure, rather than forced tissue compression.
This decompressive action leads to superior bodywork ranging from fascia mobilization and deep tissue work to negative pressure lymphatic drainage and it’s easily accomplished with far less time and discomfort to both patient and practitioner.
The suction inside the cup rapidly facilitates rigid soft tissue release by stretching it away from underlying structures, thus loosening areas of adhesions and restrictions, all while breaking up and draining stagnation and increasing blood and lymph flow to skin and muscles in ways not possible using compression.
The stretching and decompaction of the tissue is rapid and absolutely remarkable on releasing hypertonicity and decreasing aching muscles.
On joints, negative pressure activates the secretion of synovial fluids which lubricate and release joint stiffness that compression work cannot effectively initiate.
Suction concurrently creates localized expansion of tissue, producing a profound vasodilatation reaction, while drawing blood flow to areas of ischemic pain thus raising skin temperature promoting metabolism within the skin tissue for far better functioning of sweat and sebaceous glands.
Cupping flushes capillary beds, drains stagnant blood, toxins and lymph, and re-supplies the system with vital nutrient uptake.
Further, these techniques activate muscle spindle reflexes that relax contractile tissue and retrains the myofascial structures while stimulating the nervous system reflex to the cerebral cortex, contributing to an increased rate of recovery from pain and disease.
Benefits to the Patient
- Deep tissue work and release without the discomfort of force.
- Moves stagnation and drains fluids
- Reduces inflammation
- Nervous system sedation
- Breaks up and expels congestion systemically
- Stretches muscle and connective tissues
- Releases adhesions
- Pulls blood supply to the skin
- Facilitates the movement of Qi and blood systemically and locally.
- Dispels wind, damp and cold to treat muscle and joint pain, stiffness and arthritis.
- Treats excess heat conditions, fever, stress, depression and anxiety.
- Strengthens the immune system by promoting the flow of lymphatic fluid.
- Cleans the blood and lymph and helps to balance PH levels.
Another benefit of Cupping is that it really feels great.
The pulling action engages the parasympathetic nervous system, thus allowing a deep relaxation to move through the entire body.
It is not unusual to fall asleep when receiving this treatment.
Clients are surprised at how relaxed, warm, and light they feel – hours, sometimes even days after treatments.
Conditions Responding to Cupping Therapy
- Colds & Influenza
- Intercostal Neuralgia
- Intestinal disorders
- High blood pressure, stroke and arteriosclerosis
- Bronchial asthma & congestion
- Gynecological disorders
- Kidney disorders (including frequent urination)
- Dispels colds and respiratory infections
- Relieves gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Liver disorders
- Gallbladder disorders
- Dermatological disorders
- Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Anxiety & insomnia
- Post-injury trauma
- Post-surgery adhesions
- Musculoskeletal problems: pain, spasms, cramps, tightness, numbness, stiffness of the back and neck
- Chronic gastric pain
- Menopausal discomforts
- Activates the skin, clears stretch marks and wrinkles, and improves varicosities
Benefits to the Practitioner
The physical repetitive activity involved in providing Bodywork is tough work on the professional. Over the course of a therapist’s career their body undergoes a lot of wear and tear. The tools available for Cupping greatly increase the practitioners’ comfort and physical longevity.
This fact alone merits attention from every bodyworker who uses their hands, arms, legs and back.
- Cupping treatments are enjoyable to perform on Clients.
- The therapist will recognize the ability to work on greater range of people and a wider variety of conditions and issues.
- Desired in-session outcomes are achieved far faster which allows time for more treatment.
- Tissue release without discomfort to client.
- Clients are more comfortable during the course of treatments thus able to accelerate individual recovery towards treatment goals.
- Effective in resolving previously unresolved or plateaued conditions.
- Clients are more engaged and upbeat due to the effectiveness and success they are experiencing first hand.
- Ability to provide Deep Tissue work with less physical strain on the Practitioner.
- Less long term wear and tear on the practitioner extending career longevity
- Increase in Revenues and Treatment Potentials
- Inexpensive Equipment
- Bigger realized ROI (return on investment)
An important aspect of Cupping in its use in beauty therapy is based around promoting hormone production, encouraging blood and the secretion of digestive fluids and increased peristaltic movements in the bowels and internal organs, thus removing harmful toxins that speed up the ageing process and other degenerative conditions.
One of the most popular and effective treatments available is Facial Cupping.
Not only is decompression amazing for rejuvenation and improving the quality of the skin at the deepest levels, it also has proven to be extraordinary in treating neurological issues, Bells Palsy, strokes, degenerative conditions, inflammation and problems stemming from compromised lymphatic activity.
Combining Abdominal Cupping and Facial Cupping stimulates the connection and communication pathways between these 2 energy centers.
Another effective application of Cupping is in the treatment of cellulite conditions.
Lighter suction provides excellent drainage. Deeper applications will stimulate circulation and loosen adhesions or “dimpling”, mobilizing the fatty deposits to be flushed out of the area.
Areas with cellulite conditions should be cupped prior body wraps to enhance the absorption of topical products being used on the patient.
Due to its wide array of application, many other therapeutic modalities will greatly benefit from Cupping techniques including:
- Biomagnetic Therapy
- Aesthetic protocols