Cupping Therapy induces negative pressure, rather than forced tissue compression.
This decompressive action leads to superior bodywork ranging from fascia mobilization and deep tissue work to negative pressure lymphatic drainage and it’s easily accomplished with far less time and discomfort to both patient and practitioner.
The suction inside the cup rapidly facilitates rigid soft tissue release by stretching it away from underlying structures, thus loosening areas of adhesions and restrictions, all while breaking up and draining stagnation and increasing blood and lymph flow to skin and muscles in ways not possible using compression.
The stretching and decompaction of the tissue is rapid and absolutely remarkable on releasing hypertonicity and decreasing aching muscles.
On joints, negative pressure activates the secretion of synovial fluids which lubricate and release joint stiffness that compression work cannot effectively initiate.
Suction concurrently creates localized expansion of tissue, producing a profound vasodilatation reaction, while drawing blood flow to areas of ischemic pain thus raising skin temperature promoting metabolism within the skin tissue for far better functioning of sweat and sebaceous glands.
Cupping flushes capillary beds, drains stagnant blood, toxins and lymph, and re-supplies the system with vital nutrient uptake.
Further, these techniques activate muscle spindle reflexes that relax contractile tissue and retrains the myofascial structures while stimulating the nervous system reflex to the cerebral cortex, contributing to an increased rate of recovery from pain and disease.
Benefits to the Patient
- Deep tissue work and release without the discomfort of force.
- Moves stagnation and drains fluids
- Reduces inflammation
- Nervous system sedation
- Breaks up and expels congestion systemically
- Stretches muscle and connective tissues
- Releases adhesions
- Pulls blood supply to the skin
- Facilitates the movement of Qi and blood systemically and locally.
- Dispels wind, damp and cold to treat muscle and joint pain, stiffness and arthritis.
- Treats excess heat conditions, fever, stress, depression and anxiety.
- Strengthens the immune system by promoting the flow of lymphatic fluid.
- Cleans the blood and lymph and helps to balance PH levels.
Another benefit of Cupping is that it really feels great.
The pulling action engages the parasympathetic nervous system, thus allowing a deep relaxation to move through the entire body.
It is not unusual to fall asleep when receiving this treatment.
Clients are surprised at how relaxed, warm, and light they feel – hours, sometimes even days after treatments.
Conditions Responding to Cupping Therapy
- Colds & Influenza
- Intercostal Neuralgia
- Intestinal disorders
- High blood pressure, stroke and arteriosclerosis
- Bronchial asthma & congestion
- Gynecological disorders
- Kidney disorders (including frequent urination)
- Dispels colds and respiratory infections
- Relieves gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Liver disorders
- Gallbladder disorders
- Dermatological disorders
- Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Anxiety & insomnia
- Post-injury trauma
- Post-surgery adhesions
- Musculoskeletal problems: pain, spasms, cramps, tightness, numbness, stiffness of the back and neck
- Chronic gastric pain
- Menopausal discomforts
- Activates the skin, clears stretch marks and wrinkles, and improves varicosities