Negative pressure, rather than tissue compression is superior for bodywork for pain, stubborn conditions, repetitive strains, inflammation, toxicity, chronic fatigue, disgestive problems and a slough of other issue we confront as we grow older.
Suction cups rapidly facilitate rigid soft tissue release, loosens & lifts connective tissue, breaks up and drains stagnation while increasing blood & lymph flow to skin & muscles in ways not possible using compression.
Another benefit of Cupping is that it can feel really great when done properly for your constitution and current physiology and/or condition. The pulling action engages the parasympathetic nervous system, thus allowing a deep relaxation to move through the entire body. It is not unusual to fall asleep when receiving this treatment. You will be surprised at how relaxed, warm and light you’ll feel – hours… sometimes even days afterwards.
Health practitioners of a variety of modalities administer a wide spectrum of Cupping methods and treatments to assist them in providing more effective treatments to their patients and clients for healing and recovery.
Massage Therapists, Acupuncturists, Physiotherapists, Sports Therapists, Nurses, Doctors and many other trained professionals can be located in your area using our international Cupping Practitioners database HERE.
Cupping is a powerful detoxifying, pain relieving and energy building modality that people all over the world use for health maintenance for hundreds of years, but a tremendous amount of advancement over the past 25 years has produced treatments, methods and equipment to address a wide array of conditions that respond positively to Cupping.
Although Cupping Therapy is not as well known as other alternative therapies, it is the fastest growing method of treatment in many Countries, Provinces and States with a rapidly growing community of healthcare professionals that now provide a wide range of modern Cupping protocols.
Use this DATABASE to locate practitioners in your area to discuss your issues to identify one who best suits your specific needs.
The ICTA conducts the most comprehensive, safe and effective curriculum available anywhere. The prerequisites to take our training classes can be found using this LINK.
Use this LINK to see the different classes offered through the ICTA. You can see the classes listed by Date, Workshop and Instructor.
Workshop FAQ’s LINK
The after effects of Cupping are most intense at the beginning of receiving treatments, and lessen dramatically as your system becomes accustomed to the treatments and as they accumulate. Besides the effects Cupping provides for specific conditions, injuries and illnesses, some of the general after effects include:
|• A need for sleep
• Intense hunger (munchies)
• No appetite
• Feeling similar to after deep tissue massage
• Feelings of being “hung over”
• Increased bowel elimination
• Stronger body odor (elimination)
• “Best night’s sleep in years”
• An inability to sleep
• Vivid dreams
• Night sweats (elimination)
• Heightened senses (smell, sight, sound)
• Craving for certain foods
• Super thirsty and cotton mouth
• Emotional release
• Stronger than normal bowel & urine odors
• Skin surface warmer than normal
• Restless (wanting to clean, organize, etc.)
• Soreness, like after strenuous exercise
• Feeling of reduced mass, increased height, feeling lighter – more open
What's the explanation of the marks or discolorations that sometimes occur as a result from suction cup therapy?
One of the common and unfortunate misconceptions concerning cupping is the misinterpretation of the discoloration. “Bruising” is caused by impact trauma with breakage of capillaries and reactionary rush of fluids to the damaged area from the tissue compression/injury.
There is no compression in properly employed decompression therapy.
Although it is quite common during Dynamic or Stationary methods to achieve dramatic ‘marks’ or ‘discolorations’, the less aggressive action of moving the cups, minimizes the intensity and duration of the discolorations.
The time it takes for marks to fade are dependent on:
1) the amount of unwanted substances that the treatment brought to the skin surface, and
2) your after treatment activity level.
If you are pretty active, your marks may fade within hours to a day or two. If you are more stationary at your job or general lifestyle – then the marks may take weeks to fully fade.
There is no contraindication to having Cupping done over existing marks – it will only help to move it out.
|– Deep tissue work and release without the discomfort of force
– Moves stagnation and drains fluids
– Relieves inflammation
– Nervous system sedation
– Breaks up and expels congestion
– Stretches muscle and connective tissues
– Loosens adhesions
– Pulls blood supply to the skin
|– Facilitates the movement of Qi and blood systemically and locally
– Dispels wind, damp and cold to treat muscle and joint pain, stiffness, and arthritis
– Strengthens the immune system by promoting the flow of lymphatic fluid
– Treats excess heat conditions, fever, stress, depression and anxiety
– Cleans the blood and lymph and helps to balance PH levels
The decompression created by cupping pulls stagnant fluids to the surface, removes
toxic pathogens and promotes fresh oxygenated, nutrient rich blood and lymph.
|· Colds & Influenza
· Intercostal Neuralgia
· Intestinal disorders
· High blood pressure, stroke and arteriosclerosis
· Bronchial asthma & congestion
· Gynecological disorders
· Kidney disorders (including frequent/urgent urination)
· Dispels colds and respiratory infections
· Relieves gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomachache, vomiting and diarrhea
|· Liver disorders
· Gallbladder disorders
· Dermatological disorders
· Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
· Anxiety & insomnia
· Post-injury trauma
· Post-surgery adhesions
· Musculoskeletal problems: pain, spasms, cramps, tightness, numbness, stiffness of the back and neck
· Chronic gastric pain
· Menopausal discomforts
· Activates the skin, clears stretch marks and wrinkles and improves varicose veins
· Scars can be affected to a surprisingly great degree.
- Cupping should not be performed in cases of severe diseases, i.e. cardiac failure, renal failure, ascites due to hepato-cirrhosis and severe edema, as well as hemorrhagic diseases such as allergic purpura, hemophilia and leukemia, and clients with dermatosis, destruction of skin, or allergic dermatitis.
- Cupping should not be applied on areas where hernia exists or has occurred in the past.
- Broken bones, dislocations, slipped discs, organ failure, and those undergoing allopathic cancer treatments are contraindicated for Cupping.
- Cupping should not be performed on affected areas during the acute stages of Psoriasis, Eczema or Rosacea.
- Cupping should not be applied on affected areas during outbreaks of Urticaria (Hives), Herpes or Shingles.
- Cupping is contraindicated for those with liver or kidney functional illness, Cardiopathy, 3D Varicosities or over recent surgical incisions.
- Unless the mother has been receiving ongoing Cupping prior to their pregnancy – wait until the 2nd trimester.
- Women who have not received Cupping and begin during breast feeding should express several days before the treatment and should wait a few days post treatment to return to breast feeding.
Q – I got Cupping for the first time and found I had a slight headache and was nauseated. Why?
A – These are very common reactions the first time someone receives Cupping (or hasn’t received in years).
For headaches – It is usually the case of being dehydrated (most people are slightly dehydrated to some extend in western society). Because the action of tissue decompression affects the entire body, fluids will be drawn towards the areas being worked on. When a sufficient amount of fluid is reduced around the brain and its external layers, the imbalance of cranial/spinal fluids can create a pulling on the brain tissues and cause a feeling of pain. The best remedy is to drink a full glass of clean water. Always make sure you are extra well hydrated before any Cupping treatment to help keep the fluid balance stable in your body.
For nausea – This is similar to the way your immune system talks to you when you get an illness.
Your immune system is reacting to the deep seated or stored “junk” (pharmaceuticals, chemicals, preservatives, carcinogens, aluminum, injury stagnation, etc.) being drawn out and into the blood stream and lymphatic system. It’s communicating to you that there is “something new going on here that it needs time to deal with and to please slow down, don’t overexert the system while it sorts things out”. Here again is where water comes to the rescue! Filling the system with clean water will help dilute and flush these unwanted substances out of your body – hooray and good for your body!
Q – Several hours after I received my first Cupping session – my muscles started feeling sore, like I exercised too much or overexerted myself. Why?
A – Just as when you have not performed a specific activity or “go back to the gym” – you ARE over-exerting those muscles more than they are used to. Cupping, by its stretching action, performs a type of exercise to the muscles and surrounding structure that has never (or not in a long while) been performed before. It really isn’t much different than jumping into a new activity (going on that first summer hike with friends, first snow shoveling of the winter, etc., etc). The best thing to do, along with drinking that beautiful clean water, is soaking in an Epsom Salt bath or taking a long hot shower – then doing some gentle stretching.
Listen to your body and relax if that‘s what it’s saying!